Thursday, June 25, 2015

Moving and taking a seat

Between the business of moving as in, packing and boxes and address changes, and the current events that have overtaken my thoughts this week, events that really just stem from the already existing pains and horrors of racism and white supremacy, I found it hard to write. I’m considering the possibility of posting every other week instead of every Thursday, though two weeks may be too big of a window, I don’t know.

I started trying to recap what was going on in DR, the open letter signed by Junot Díaz, Julia Alvarez, Mark Kurlansky and Edwidge Danticat, which caused a rebuttal from Dominican writer Giovanny Cruz. I’ve tried sorting out my own perspective on the matter, what writers Diaz and Alvarez have meant to me, and the message of Cruz's response. I started writing about what took place in the Emanuel AME Bible study room in Charleston and weighing out the concept of forgiveness- the struggle to do it, the problems with it, the amazing-ness of it. But it all seemed to go off in too many directions and I haven’t yet been able to tie it up into a nice, little cohesive bow in terms of essay and words, or finding “my point”, or at least to the point where I put it down on paper. Or screen. You know what I mean..

A lot of writers/bloggers and people in general seem numb at this point and tired of seeing his face, discussing the same hatred, tired of defending and explaining rage, emphasizing what should be obvious, that black lives matter. What I’d like to do here instead is share this vlog by ray(nise) cange.

I’m sure I’ll elaborate in other posts and find that nice, neat way of tying it all up for you, and for myself. But this week I felt that this was a voice and message really worth sharing and hearing out.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment